Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Persian Boy.



And on a completely unrelated topic;  I have just finished labouring through this book.  Which if you aren't already aware is the story told in the first person of the eunuch Bagoas, who was a devoted lover and servant to Alexander The Great and traipsed around the countryside over hill dale and desert as A'lskander went a'conquering. 

It was entertaining, but terribly taxing to read, basically because it was written so poorly.  I thought at first the author was using a difficult syntax to make Bagoas seem more alive, as if he were speaking and being translated through several different tongues.  But on reading the author's note at the end of the book and finding it equally unreadable,  I realised that no, it was the author's poor sentence construction that made it so difficult to read.  Nevertheless I'd recommend it, (sort of) as it was nonetheless inspiring and has caused me to dig out my copies of Plutarch's Lives, the Histories and Homer's Iliad to help me stay as much as possible in the world of Classical Antiquity, given that contemporary life in the here and now is so fucking mind-numbingly stupid at the moment.







Heh, imagine if you will,  an image of Richard Lattimore's translation of the Iliad,  an image I found through google, which immediately redirects me to a site trying to tell me that my Mac has been infected by a Trojan virus and immediately begins to scan my computer using a dummy 'window' window.  

Like I said  . . . . mind-numbingly stupid world.

1 comment:

  1. You could also try "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield - an interpretation of the 'last stand' by the Spartans at the "gates of Thermopylae'. It's actually well researched and written .. but not for anyone with a perpetual negative attitude.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters linking to unrelated sites will be fed to the spamigator.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.